Degree Apprentice Software Engineer
Memiah is on a mission to create a healthier, happier society by nurturing ideas, promoting positive mental and physical health and bringing people together. We operate a network of websites to help connect individuals with professionals in areas such as counselling, life coaching, therapy and nutrition. We have over 21,000 members and pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service.
We have also recently launched Happiful Magazine, a monthly wellness publication looking to reduce the stigma around mental health and are currently working on a happiful mobile app which will be a hub for happiness that brings all our users, stories and professionals together.
Before you read on, we have a few questions…
- Do you want to get a BSc Computing Degree?
- Do you want to save £27,000 in tuition fees?
- Do you want to gain 4 years of Software Engineering experience, and get paid up to £18,000 per year?
- Do you want to be over £22,000 per year better off* than if you went to full time university? (That's 25 x MacBook Airs or 2 x Fiat 500s!)
If you answered YES to these questions, then this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
We are now looking for 2 Degree Apprentice Software Engineers to join our team. A degree apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity to gain a full BSc (Honours) Degree in Digital and Technology Solutions, whilst working in a real office environment, gaining experience and an income at the same time.
A typical working week may involve…
- Collaborating with development team to improve our web platform for our customers via Slack and Github.
- Helping us transition from a legacy monolithic application to a RESTful API-driven micro-service architecture (you can read our API docs here - NB: it's currently in alpha!).
- Contributing to our growing open source code library.
- Taking part in an off-site hackathon to build a mobile app, or test new technology.
- Ensuring our code and infrastructure is fast and secure.
- Improving our code deployment and testing pipeline.
What can you offer?
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
- A passion for technology.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to research answers.
- Three A-levels with grades of ABB in rigorous subjects.
Desirable skills / experience
- Knowledge of PHP Frameworks: WordPress, Laravel, Lumen, MVC and PSR standards.
- A demonstrable record of contributions to open source projects.
We offer the following benefits:
- A competitive salary plus a discretionary performance based bonus plan. Salary will be between £12,000 to £18,000 (depending on the University chosen, either Queen Mary's or Open University - TBC).
- Up to 5% employers' matched pension contribution.
- 32 days holiday entitlement including public/bank holidays and end-of-year office closure (increasing annually to a maximum of 38 days).
- A unique working environment that will recognise your achievements and celebrate milestones.
- Flexible working hours, and finish 1 hour early on Fridays (short 34 hour working week).
- The latest equipment to work on, e.g. MacBook or MacBook Pro plus multiple monitors.
* £22k per year benefit compared to full time university is calculated as follows: University tuition fees are covered by ourselves and/or the government, therefore on a 4 year apprenticeship the saving would be £6,750 p.a in fees alone. A gross salary of £18,000 results in net pay of £15,521.48 p.a in the 2017/18 tax year. Therefore the total benefit for the year would be (27,000/4)+15,521.48 = £22,271.48